Setting goals in life is important, setting goals in business is vital. Today I want to talk about how to set goals & how you can achieve them.
Importance of Setting Goals
Without goals in life or business, we would just drift aimlessly from day to day and often from crisis to crisis.
When you ask yourself the following questions the answers will be your goals for your business
- Why have you set up your business?
- What do you want from your business?
- When do you want it?
- How will you get it?
Every Business Needs Five Things
- Profitability. The primary goal of any business is to be profitable. The goal is to maximize profit and minimize costs.
- Growth. This goal deals with branding and building trust to ensure the business grows so it can meet the first goal of profitability.
- Customer Retention. Getting your customers to keep coming back is also a goal of any business. This goal is closely related to profitability and growth
- Customer service. To keep your customers coming back you need to offer the kind of service they want
- Efficiency. This efficiency of the business is important to all the above goals. Delayed or lost orders, slow service, mistakes will impact on all your goals
The goals above are all dependent on each other and will ultimately lead to the steady growth of your business as each goal is met. Any store, whether it is a corner store or online business the same business practices apply. The only difference between and online store and a bricks and mortar store is the cost. The online store costs much less to set up and to run.
How to Set Business Goals
1. You are a unique individual and your goals should a be original and related to what you want to achieve in your business. Even when your goals are similar to other businesses they are uniquely your goals. They are yours and they relate closely to you and what you want. Put your own personality into your goals and make them original.
2. Set realistic goals. Don’t set unrealistic goals that you cannot achieve. Be honest with yourself. Often it is better to set short-term goals that you can achieve quickly. Reaching those short-term goals gives you that wonderful sense of achievement that will keep you focused on reaching your next goal.
3. Set goals that inspire you. If you are passionate about your goal you will work harder to reach it.
4. Put a time limit on achieving your goals. This will make you work harder to achieve the result you want. Without a time-frame, there is no sense of urgency and you can just drift on and on. There is no motivation to get it done.
5. Visualize your goals. This is a great source of motivation for you. Your goals will become more realistic and achievable, pushing your forward to your desired outcome.
6. Let your goals reflect your own ideals. What are your beliefs about the environment, family, religion, education and ethics. Ensure your goals embrace and are in harmony with your beliefs and principals.
7. Your goals need to be compatible with each other. It is no use setting a goal for your business that will prevent you achieving other goals you have set. Goals should be like the chain. They should all link together naturally with nothing missing or out of place.
8. Avoid being rigid in setting your goals. Flexible goals give you room to move. In business, when you are seeing steady progress toward your goal but have gone past your time limit it does not mean you have failed. If you can see you are progressing you know you can achieve that goal.
9. In any business, your goals should always include honesty and integrity. Your first goal should be a mission statement about how your business will be conducted and what is the purpose. It is important to remember that the most important people in your business are your customers. Without honesty and integrity, you have no customers. Without customers, you have no business.
10. Finally, keep a written list of your goals. Read your list regularly to keep your goals fresh in your mind.
Learning how to set goals and achieve them is the first step to achieving the business success you are looking for. Giving yourself something tangible to work toward helps you to focus.
We can all reach our goals in life and in business. If you have the passion needed to focus on the outcomes you want, the drive to work toward achieving them, you can succeed at anything. Your positive outlook and motivation will guide you to overcoming any challenges that you are confronted with. Positive thinking, determination and a passion for your business will guide you to success.
If you have any question or comments about this post I would love to hear from you. Be sure to leave me a note below.